The ‘Imperial eagle’ coin is only legal tender in Portugal and has the following features:
On the obverse:
- Filling the centre, an eagle in flight;
- Around the edge, on the lower left, the abbreviation ‘INCM’ and the name of the author;
- On the right, the Portuguese coat of arms with the armillary sphere and the face value.
On the reverse:
- In the middle, an image of the eagle in profile;
- Around the upper edge, the words ‘Águia Imperial’;
- Around the lower edge, the words ‘Portugal 2018’.
The issue limit was set at 60,000 coins with normal finish.